If you are reading my blog, please show me some support and become a "Follower." It's easy, just click on "Join this Site."

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Happy Dad's Day

Happy Father's Day to all of the wonderful Dad's out there, including my husband and my dad! We had a great day and hope Rob enjoyed himself! We all slept in this morning until 8:00 am. When Leah woke up she ran to her Dad and said "Happy Mother's Day." We corrected her and told her it was Father's Day. She said, "No - it's mommy's day." She eventually caught on and wished her Daddy a happy father's day. She was very excited to give him his card and a special present she made for him at school.
Rob got his present from me last week. He has wanted an umbrella or gazebo for our patio for a long time. Gazebo's were a little out of my price range, but did find a nice umbrella that would look great in our backyard. I know an umbrella is not a special sentimental gift, but it was something he wanted. Our backyard gets no shade, so the umbrella will come in handy. We have a smaller one that goes in our patio table, so this one will provide more shade for the other side of the patio.
For the past couple of weeks we had said for Father's Day we were going to take the train downtown for the afternoon so Leah could experience her first train ride. Every time she sees a train, she gets so excited and tells us how much she wants to go on one. So over the past week or so she kept telling us that she couldn't wait to ride the train. On Wednesday, I finally got around to looking at the train schedule and it wasn't looking pretty. The Sunday schedule stinks - trains are only offered every two hours and they hit every single stop on the way in. This did not sound appealing to us and it would be so much easier to just drive in, but we didn't want to disappoint our little girl. I came up an idea that would still give Leah a chance to ride the train and give us the flexibility to drive downtown. I decided I would drop Leah and Rob off at the train station in Downers Grove and then let them take it to the Westmont station (where I would drive to go pick them up). It was perfect. It was only a 10 minute train ride, but Leah absolutely loved it! After I picked them up, we drove into the city.
After their brief train ride, I picked them up and we were on our way to the city. As usual, we parked by our old apartment in Old Town and walked over to North and Wells. It's been awhile since we were last there. We walked up and down Wells. There are a handful of new restaurants and bars that have gone in. It was a bit on the hot side so I was a little uncomfortable, but it was manageable. I just had to move a little slower. We decided to have lunch at Corcoran's (a bar and grill we used to frequent often when we lived downtown). They have a back patio that had umbrellas so we were able to eat outside. Rob enjoyed a few adult beverages to celebrate his big day.
After lunch, we came back home and played in the backyard for awhile since it was so hot outside. We put Leah in her bathing suit and pulled out her water table and sprinkler. She had a blast. She should sleep good tonight! I hope everyone had a wonderful Father's Day!!

No comments:

Post a Comment