If you are reading my blog, please show me some support and become a "Follower." It's easy, just click on "Join this Site."

Monday, March 5, 2012

Why not make some Pinterest recipes

Things have been pretty uneventful around here lately - not much to report on. Work has been really busy and I am wiped out by the time I get home. We didn't have any plans this past weekend, which was nice. Friday night we went out for Sushi and it was yummy! Ever since I found out I was pregnant, I have had no taste for it, but now that I am finally feeling better - I was craving it. It was SO good. Saturday we spent the day furniture shopping looking for a bedroom set for Leah's "Big Girl Room" she will soon be transitioning to in the next few weeks. We decided that we are not going to buy another crib. We are going to put the baby in Leah's room and then move Leah to the extra bedroom. Leah was so excited looking at big girl beds, so I am hoping we have a smooth move! We didn't find anything that we loved and decided that we are going to keep looking.

Sunday we went over to my Dad's for awhile and then went to the mall. When we got home, I was in a cooking mood. I've found so many recipes on Pinterest and I decided to give a few a try tonight while I had some time on my hands. (I've already made a ton of the recipes I have found). I love when people share new recipes with me, so I thought I would go ahead and post the new recipes I tried. I had come across this one blog with several "freezer bag crock pot recipes" where you can make everything ahead of time and freeze it. Once we are ready to make it, you take it out the night before and toss it in the crockpot on low for 8 hours. Usually, I am so tired by the time I get home from work I don't feel like cooking. These recipes were perfect! If all goes well, I will plan to make more. I also found this other website that all sorts of quick and easy meals that you can plan and freeze. They will definitely come in handy when I am home on maternity leave and can easily prepare dinner. For the Freezer Bag Recipes, I made Teriyaki Chicken and Sausage and Peppers. (Recipes compliments of http://www.ringaroundtherosies.net/). While we haven't actually eaten these recipes yet, I am excited to try them over the next week or so!

Teriyaki Chicken
Medium – Large bag of carrots
Red Onion into Large Chunks
2 large cans pineapple (undrained)
4 Garlic Cloves
4 Chicken Breasts
1 cup teriyaki sauce

Split everything into two gallon freezer bags. shake it up, seal, label and put in the freezer. Instructions for Bag: Add 1/4 cup teriyaki sauce to crock pot, Cook on low 8 hours or high 4 hours. Serve over hot rice

Sausage & Peppers
6 Italian Sausage (or chicken sausage) **I used kielbasa instead, because that's all I had
2 green peppers
1 red pepper
1 large red onion
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 cans italian diced tomatoes
drizzle olive oil
1 Tbs Italian seasoning

Put everything into two gallon freezer bags, shake it up, seal, label and put in the freezer. Instructions for
Bag: Cook on low 8 hours, or grill. After cooking, serve over hot pasta or on hollowed out, buttered crusty bread.

I also made a casserole type dish last night that we had for dinner tonight. When I got home from work, all I had to do was throw it in the oven, It was an Enchilada Casserole, although to me it was more of a taco casserole. It was pretty tasty and Rob seemed to like it. I've made variations of it in the past. We have plenty of leftovers! This is another recipe that came from Pinterest from the http://www.sixsistersstuff.com/ blog.

Cheesy Enchilada Casserole

Ingredients
1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
1 large onion, chopped or season with Onion powder or minced onion
2 1/2 cups salsa
1 can (15 ounces) black beans or red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1/4 cup reduced-fat Italian salad dressing
2 tablespoons reduced-sodium taco seasoning
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
6 flour tortillas (8 inches)
1 small can of drained corn, or about 1 1/4 cups of frozen corn (optional)
3/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream *Note: I used 1/2 cup
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend
1 cup shredded lettuce
1 medium tomato, chopped
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro

**the recipe doesn't call for it, but I added 4 ounces of cream cheese.

Directions
In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
Stir in the salsa, beans, dressing, sour cream, corn (optional), taco seasoning and cumin.
Spoon a generous layer of meat mixture on bottom of 2 quart baking dish. Sprinkle with grated cheese.
Place a flour or corn tortilla on top of meat mixture. Layer with half of the meat mixture, and cheese. Repeat as many layers as you like.
The last & final layer should be a healthy dose of grated cheese.
Cover with foil that has been sprayed with pam or other and bake at 400° for 25 minutes, or until hot & bubbly.
Let stand for 5 minutes before topping with lettuce, tomato and cilantro. Yield: 8 servings.

1 comment:

  1. great minds think alike...i also made the chicken teriyaki and sausage and peppers and froze to cook later. haven't cooked yet. did you? taco/enchilada casserole looks good. will have to try!

    ReplyDelete