If you are reading my blog, please show me some support and become a "Follower." It's easy, just click on "Join this Site."

Sunday, October 27, 2013

Parent-Helper Day at Leah’s Preschool

This past Thursday I was SUPER excited that I was able to volunteer and help in Leah’s classroom. Sometimes it’s difficult to be involved with things like this when you are a full-time working mom. A few weeks ago her school let us know that parents could sign-up to be a parent helper for the day. It was an actual sign-up sheet, posted at school by the coat hooks. Me, being a mom that is not able to do the drop off/pick was not able to go in and physically sign-up for a slot. Luckily, I called and they were more than accommodating in letting me know what dates were open and penciled my name down. Actually, I was really surprised, there were several open slots.

Leah was over the top excited that I got to drive her to school AND stay for the whole class. I was curious how Leah would act with me there. Her teachers put me right to work. I got down with them on the floor and helped them with whatever they needed. Their activities were based around Halloween. I was responsible for helping put paint on kids hands to make a candy corn hand print. They also painted a candy picture, made a foam candy corn face necklace and got to pick pumpkin seeds out of a pumpkin.I was able to observe story time and play with the kids in the activity center. For some reason, a few of the kids really seemed to like me. They were wanting to sit by me and have me play with them. Leah was a little clingy (as I expected), but overall, she was on really good behavior. I definitely enjoyed my special day at school with my sweet girl.

I really love Leah’s preschool. The teachers are great and they do wonderful things with the kids. Leah is learning and having fun at the same time. Every day is themed by a letter, color or something along those lines (one day was family day, one day was black bird day, etc.). The other day they talked about the letter "F." F is for Fire Truck and they had a visit from the Plainfield Fire Department. They learned when to call 911, how to stop, drop and roll and had the chance to walk through a fire truck. For their activity in class, they put out foam flames with turkey basters, wore firefighter hats and used Rescue Heroes to save buildings. Here are some pictures from the day. 




The teachers also have a private Facebook page just for the parents of her class and they post updates and pictures of what they did for the day. It gives me a glimpse into her day and allows me to talk with her about what she did. 

Next week, I am helping with the Halloween Party at school too. I got a note home (on Thursday the 10th) saying that I got picked, but then there was also a required parent party planning meeting the following Tuesday at 2:00 pm in the afternoon. Ugh...there was no way I would be able to rearrange my schedule at work on such short notice to make the meeting. Luckily, Rob was able to take off and I sent him with print-outs of all of my ideas (for games, crafts, snacks, etc.). I told him he would be responsible for representing me and he better contribute to the discussion. Ha! When he arrived, he said there were 16 moms there and he was feeling really overwhelmed. He later learned that these were the parents picked for the party for ALL of the preschool classes (morning and afternoon sessions). They divided up based on classroom. In the end, it was him and 3 other mom's that planned the party for Leah's class. Luckily, some of my ideas were well received. I am responsible for making a 'pumpkin patch' dirt cake and bringing the supplies for a witch hat ring toss. There will be other activities too and then they'll end the afternoon with a costume parade. I am so excited and can't wait for the Halloween fun next week. Wish I could do this kind of stuff more often.
Hopefully my dirt cake turns out like the picture!

No comments:

Post a Comment