If you are reading my blog, please show me some support and become a "Follower." It's easy, just click on "Join this Site."

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Two Steps Forward and One Step Back

Just after I was boasting how Mason was a brand new baby and that we figured out the acid reflux, we had a slight setback. Over the weekend, he completely regressed and began showing all of the same signs he did before he was on medicine! He was constantly crying in pain and arching his back during feedings. What happened to my happy baby?! At first I thought he might just be having a bad day, but it continued for the next 2 days. (Luckily, he was still sleeping pretty well). I scoured different mom boards on the Internet trying to learn more about acid reflux and Zantac (the prescription he is on). I read that lots of Mom's said Zantac only worked for a short time for their babies before having to move to something stronger.

I called Mason's doctor on Tuesday morning to talk about what was going on with him. I wasn't sure if she would want me to bring him back in or not. We had just been there the week before. After explaining what was going on, she decided it would be best to change his prescription. She switched him over to Prevacid. She said to give it a try and if he gets worse or it doesn't work, I should call her back in a week. This new medicine needs to be refrigerated and it is only good for 14 days. We started him on it yesterday and he had a great day today! The evening was a different story. He was VERY fussy. Nothing was making him happy. I pulled out our infant sling thing and put him in it. Finally - something made him content! I am hoping the medicine just needs a little time to 'kick in.' Hopefully we will be back on track soon!!

As a side note, Mason has started smiling! Yay! The doctor had me freaked out because she was concerned he wasn't smiling. My little man pulled through!

No comments:

Post a Comment