If you are reading my blog, please show me some support and become a "Follower." It's easy, just click on "Join this Site."

Sunday, December 2, 2012

It just clicked

I am happy to report that Leah is well on her way to being potty trained! I think she is already there, but I want to give it a little more time to make sure she is fully on track. We are on day 5 and she is doing great! As you may remember, we had many ups and downs with trying to get Leah potty trained. (You can read about it HERE). She would often get upset and wouldn’t want anything to do with the potty. We had tried everything – sticker boards, candy rewards, play doh, special princess potty, etc. It got to the point where I decided we needed to take a break from trying and wait until she was ready.

In the last week or so, Leah has been talking about going potty and talking about wearing underwear all of the time. She tries so hard to be like the big kids at daycare (especially her best buddy Teagan), so I think this definitely pushed her in that direction.  She has been telling me that she wants to start wearing underwear. I had a window of opportunity and I took it. The next morning when she woke up (after she went pee in her diaper), I told her that we were going to wear underwear that day and she was going to start going pee pee on the potty. Normally, she would get upset or try to tell me, “not today.” This day, she was actually really excited and picked out the pair of underwear that she wanted to wear. I sent her to daycare in her underwear and she did great! She must have gone on the potty five times when she was there. She was SO proud of herself and we were too! She kept the momentum going and went on the potty at least a half a dozen more times at home. Every few minutes she would tell me she has to ‘go,’ and she would at least try. This is HUGE progress from where we were a few months ago when she didn't want to go near the potty. There is no turning back either. We told Leah that ‘Tobey’ our elf (on the shelf) took all of her diapers and gave them to the little babies that need them. She totally bought into it and now tells me diapers are for babies and she is a big girl. I tested her the other night and asked her if we should put a diaper on before bed. She said, “Mom, duh….we gave all of my diapers away to the little babies,” and then she just laughs.

Most mornings she has woken up dry but she has had an occasional accident. Overall, she is doing great. We had told her that we would take her back to Chuck E. Cheese since she was being such a big girl and going on the potty. This rocked her world! We went after work on Friday. This would be our first time venturing out of the house and I was a little nervous as to how it would go. We had bought a portable ‘Dora’ potty seat that I decided I would bring with us. The kid just started going on the potty, so I didn’t want to completely throw her off if we didn’t have it. Once we were at Chuck E. Cheese she told me that she had to go pee. We went to the bathroom and all went well. Leah loves it at Chuck E. Cheese and had a blast. We learned our lesson the last time we were there and decided to skip the pizza. We just played games for about an hour and she was a happy girl.
After Chuck E. Cheese we were hungry and we were debating if we should go grab dinner. Leah had done awesome, but we didn’t want to push our luck. We did end up going to Texas Roudhouse and it was a success. Leah went potty twice while we were there. I am so proud of my big girl. We went to the mall on Saturday and it is such a difference with her going on the potty now. When she tells me she has to go, I need to react and get her to the bathroom. Before, it was no big deal since she had a diaper on. While at the mall, she told me about 3 seperate times she had to go to the bathroom, so each time we raced to the restroom. Sometimes she would go, sometimes she wouldn't. I didn't want to chance it that she have an accident because I didn't take her to the bathroom.

Since she had started going on the potty, she had only been going #1. She kept telling me she was scared to go #2. She has held it for the past 5 days. I figured sooner or later it would come. This afternoon, it finally came and she told me it wasn’t so bad and wasn’t scary. I think we she is well on her way! She decided she was ready and it just clicked!  

No comments:

Post a Comment