If you are reading my blog, please show me some support and become a "Follower." It's easy, just click on "Join this Site."

Friday, September 9, 2011

Moving onto the next thing…

Why do I always have such a hard time “sticking” to a program when it comes to trying to lose weight?! I was on such a kick a few months ago and I was so motivated. We were eating healthy, going to the gym, taking walks and I was following Weight Watchers. I even dropped 14 pounds. I was feeling great and thought I had adapted into my new way of life.

Fast forward 5 months and some of these healthy habits have gone to the way-side. We’ve slowly started going out to eat more and going to the gym less. I still go, but not nearly as much as I was before. I am not cooking as much at home as I was before - I was on a roll trying new healthy recipes and sticking to portion sizes. I had bought my Hungry Girl Cook Book and was making new recipes left and right. I have completely abandoned tracking my points through Weight Watchers and a few of those pounds have creeped back on! Agh! How does this happen? I hate being over-weight so why do I give up? Clearly, I have no one to blame but myself. It’s a vicious cycle. I think part of my motivation came from the fact we were going on vacation. It always helps when you have something to look forward to and now....I got nothing.

As most of you know, I am in Human Resources. One of my responsibilities is to manage all of our Wellness Initiatives. I research, recommend and implement different wellness programs and events for our company. (I know – I am not exactly the face of fitness). Anyways, over the past couple of months we have been looking at different programs and just launched our newest wellness initiative last week. I am really excited about it and hope it will help me get back on track. It is called Sonic Boom. It’s really high-tech and really encourages you to change your daily behaviors.

One part of the program uses a “SonicPed.” It is a little pedometer that you clip to your shoe. It tracks all of your activity (including the duration, number of steps taken, distance covered and calories burned). The cool part about it is that it automatically loads all of your data off of the ped directly to your online profile (so there is no cheating).  We just walk past a receiver and it transfers everything.
We get points for everything we do. When we accumulate enough points, we can exchange them for prizes in an online store. Also through the website, it has all of these online trackers to use. There is a hydration tracker, food tracker, activity tracker and fruits & veggies tracker that you can use to record everything you eat and do all day. You can set goals for yourself and monitor your progress over time. It is similar to Weight Watchers Online but cooler. (So I will be canceling my Weight Watchers membership that I pay for and don’t use)!
There is also a ton of other things you can do through the program – there are daily challenges that you can earn points for as well as a “Weight Loss Warriors” portal that you can create an interactive “battle plan.” There is also a social media component to it, where you can add friends (co-workers), comments, pictures, etc. I am excited about it and a ton of our employees are too.  So…..it’s on to the next for me. Wish me luck. Hopefully, I am not blogging in another 4 months at how I failed at this program too!

No comments:

Post a Comment